Although nothing is fail proof, here are some things we can do to combat tying ourselves to the wrong person?
1. Get Godly counsel about him: If you are serious, introduce him to your pastor and other members at your church. What do they say and think of him? If he attends a church visit his church as well.
2. Get to know the people in his life: How does he interact with them? What do they have to say about him? The more you all are together around others, the more comfortable he will become showing his true colors if initially only his representative was showing up.
3. Be observant : Is he a man of his word? Does he do the things he says he will or does he say one thing and then do another?
4. Seek God: Ask God for discernment and wisdom, which God gives freely to those that ask (James 1:5). Seek to know his heart more than what you see physically as his outward appearance (1 Samuel 16:7 & Romans 8:27) and ask God to show you if the relationship is within His will.
5. Have him meet people that love you: Spend time with people you know and love together. Ask people whose opinions you trust and that truly have your best interest at heart. Although they should not be the final or ultimate decision makers you should definitely take their thoughts into account especially if they have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with him.
6. Trust your intuition: Intuition is one of the ways God directs us, it is that small nudge we get from time to time when you just know something isn’t right or when you should continue on your current path.
I hope these pointers help, happy courting!